Saturday, July 19, 2014

Hammerfest and Longyearbyen, Norway

P1030582

Hammerfest, Norway

P1030615

Longyearbyen, Norway ..... Spitsbergen

I did not take a tour or get off the ship in Hammerfest, a "city" of 5,000 people. Local tours of about 2 hours each were offered by Regent: to a museum, a Polar Bear club or to a Sami Camp. I don't think there was a town, so to speak, of any great note here. After we left port I learned Regent had a shuttle bus to 'town'. Had I known, I would have gone. Today I took a sea day instead and just enjoyed this tiny port "city" from my balcony.


After a break from ports, my day off, I was once again ready to venture out into the wilderness and stark beauty of Norway. Yet another lovely, rustic,isolated settlement, awaited discovery, Longyearbyen. This quaint little town was a perfect spot to stop. In fact I am trying to talk David into coming back and staying here for a few weeks but I think it is too desolate for him to even consider. The population is about 1,800 people, 500 of which are children. Those long dark winters are used for snuggling I think.

 There are 3,000 Polar Bears. 3,000 bears.... 1,800 people...... Not liking those odds. There are usually 2 attacks a year.....

Longyearbyen is a tiny tiny town but still the largest settlement on the island of Spitsbergen. (Another stop on David's Bucket List) We are about 800 miles north of the Arctic Circle now. When we visit Longyearbyen we are in the world's northernmost town, and the northernmost settlement of any kind with more then 1,000 permanent residents. The Arctic Coal Company started coal mining here in 1906. The old mine still stands today but I hear Yoga is taught there now. They have one gas station here...with two pumps. They also have a University. If you are having a baby you must leave the island three weeks before the due date so the baby can be born where there are better hospital facilities. People can not be buried in the ground nor can you bury pipes. Permafrost? (ground movement) causes everything to pop up eventually.  I know, hard to believe.

P1030707

P1030600



Five tours were offered at this port. One was hiking up Mount Plateau for about 3 hours, another was a two hour RIB boat Adventure to Bird Island...mmmmm too cold for me. Instead I went to visit huskies, have tea and eat pancakes ....:) I could not get them in Russia so I will have my pancakes in Norway.. :) Actually they are called drop scones but they look like pancakes to me. The black current tea they served was delicious. Perfect for a cold day in good ol' Norway.

The dog kennel was about a five minute drive from the pier. Every single dog at the Wilderness Center started to bark... all tails were wagging...and all dogs had a longing look of "pet me! pet me!" We were served sugar sprinkled pancakes (drop scones) and some hot tea overlooking some beautiful scenery. We learned about how important these dogs are for life this far north. These are their babies for sure. Some people went on a dog sled ride. As the owners set up the sleighs to take cruisers on a ride the barking escalated. Every dog at the Wilderness Center wanted to go out for the ride. It was cold but looked fun to do that. There was a light drizzle most of the day here in port.

P1030608

P1030609

P1030605

P1030606

P1030599

Whenever I travel, wherever I go, I have reminders of my brother, Ken, and his great sense of humor. This one's for you, Ken :) . Ladies have the heart ..... Men, go to the back of the building.... behind the Man's Pole door.

P1030641


P1030614

P1030621

P1030638

P1030656

Rules of Common Sense published for tourists include: Don't pick flowers; Don't throw trash; Don't disturb animals and birds; Don't destroy or remove cultural monuments (anything on the ground...anything!....on the ground before 1946 (These are considered cultural monuments); Nobody can be an invisible tourist but we would like you to try; and most important.... It is prohibited to attract or pursue POLAR BEARS! Carry suitable weapons and know how to use them. I am on that one! First thing every resident must learn here is how to shoot a rifle. If you are a resident you also pass a test. They cut a hole in the ice. You jump in fully clothed with a pick. You must get out on your own. Our guide tells us once people do this they are very cautious where they take their snow mobile, as you never want to experience that again. Every household has numerous snow mobiles parked out front.

Our two BIG stops on the tour were to take a picture of the Polar Bear sign AND to take a photo of reindeer feeding in the meadow. Both stops were a big hit for me! :) I am entertained easily. :) I loved this tour. Loved the dirt roads, the isolation, the simple earthy colorful homes.

P1030664

P1030671

P1030696


P1030647

The old airport.....

P1030576

OH !!!!!!! BIG NEWS !!!! Guess who won full cover the page BINGO!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment