Friday, July 4, 2014

Mariehamn, Finland

P1020211
Mariehamn is the capital of Aland. Mostly Swedish (and some Finnish) is spoken here, and English, thankfully :). This quaint lovely little town was founded in 1861. Six tours were offered and I opted out. One was a tour of Stallhagen Brewery and others were tours of local museums and churches. I needed a tour break. Instead David and I took the ships shuttle into town. David could only walk about a block so he sat on a bench and waited for me to stroll the 2 block long town. I also went into a bank and got some Euros. Upon entering I had to ask Is this a Bank? A nice worker said yes and showed me how to take a number. I then sat in one of six chairs to wait for my number to be called. When it was my turn the teller asked my personal number..... right. I looked quizzical. Huh? I gave her my passport and signed a form. For $200, I received 170 Euros. I think I was jipped....
What a lovely peaceful little town. I loved walking the streets. Loved the town, the homes, the simplicity, and loved watching everyone out and about. Not much here or to buy, but that's OK. I loved being out ..... being in the SUN!!! AND I didn't need my North Face fleece today, 60 degrees!! All is good.
When we got back to the ship, Regent had a 4th of July BBQ on deck waiting for us. I changed into shorts and sat on the pool deck in the sun and read my 'audio book' for a few hours. I am reading Orphan Train, by Christina Kline right now. Just finished the new book Blood Feud by Edward Klein. I was waiting for a day like this for what seems like a long long time.

P1020213
P1020228
P1020229
P1020225
P1020231
P1020242 David, happy to be back onboard, dressed in his finest for the 4th of July.
Dinner at Compass Rose tonight followed by going to hear JR, the Cruise Director we had dinner with last night, sing. He puts on two shows this cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment