Tuesday, February 9, 2016

**Lautoka, Fiji

NewImage

P1060008 BULA! (Hello!) from Lautoka, Fiji...the sugar city.




I always thought of Fiji in a romantic way. My minds image of Fiji equates paradise. Lautoka, our Port, means spear hit........ We have been here before, so has Captain Bligh. Fiji is known for its sugar exports but tourism has come to equal sugar economically. Fijian is the native language but all speak English.

 Lautoka our, second stop in Fiji, and still the people are unbelievably friendly. I like their traditions and beliefs. They are a family. They all look out for each other and help each other in their community. Our guide tells us. Lautoka is the third largest city in Fiji. Once again, all I find myself saying all day long is .....

BULA!!!! You must always say Bula to all you see. If you don't, you hurt their feelings. I took a tour called Private Homes and Garden discovery. We visited two homes, one Indian home and one South Sea home where the owners grow orchards and have a large selection of antiques in their home. The tour was 'extremely' limited and expensive as far as tours go $139 each. We were to see how orchards are grown, see a huge collection of family antiques and learn how Indian curry dishes are made. The bus ride there was 45 minutes. We were greeted at the Sea side home by 2 warriors. We entered the home and sat in the living room where a young man showed us his family's collections. We saw the area where orchards were grown and given a piece of banana bread and some tea

  P1050970

P1050982
P1050992












P1050986

Next stop was the Indian home. Many Indian families have immigrated here. We waited for 4 buses to unload. We sat on wooden benches. We saw curry spices in bowls. Then we lined up to have a small sample of their home cooking.


 P1060007  1

P1060019

I peeked into the house and noticed a Grandma cooking in a kitchen inside her home. I did not dare enter and tried to get a photo fro the door. Then a man asked to use the restroom and was granted permission into the home....Yes, I followed. Some of the women were in the kitchen preparing the food for us tourists. I loved the kitchen and watching them cook. It was small and very hot. I am sure it would not pass health inspections but it was fun to be inside.

  P1060025


P1060021
P1060028

P1060027

 The little girl captured my heart..... :) We then boarded our bus and headed back to the ship. Today, I just did not feel it. Maybe my mindset was more tourist then traveler. Heading back to the ship, I stopped in town and walked for a bit. In a third world country the shops are what you would expect.


P1060036

I guess I was spoiled by the last two ports. I think I prefer less structure and exploring on my own in areas I could get around easily and feel comfortable on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment