Friday, February 12, 2016

**Mare Island

P1060083

P1060116

Our ship at anchor Mare Island



Zero population on Mystery Island yesterday to 5,648 today ... Population Boom! Mare is pronounced MAR-RAY. The island is part of New Caledonia and is 26 miles long by 10-20 miles wide. Not like Mystery Island. No way will I hike around this one today. There was hardly any info on this island from the tour desk.

There is very limited infrastructure here. No tours. Crystal cautioned us from taking any taxis on our own. The ship had shuttles to a beach today. I could not decide weather to get off the ship or not.... taking a tender to the pier and then a shuttle to a beach. I am not a great one for sitting on a sunny beach. But, as always, I can't pass up an opportunity to see where we are.

I took the first tender in. No shuttles were ready when we got there so I walked up some stairs near where we were dropped off and found a small local market full of people. It was about 8:30, so I am guessing this was prime time for this little 2 stall market.

  P1060087

Lots of home made bread sold here as well as vegetables and fruit. Locals were milling around. Some older ladies were parked on a bench eating the insides of a coconut.

  P1060090

As the head of the tours was frantically looking for his shuttles I kind of went over in his direction being careful to stay out of the way. He tried to get the local tour guides organized and ready, and wanted the shuttles down at the pier where the first tender people were waiting in the sun. He said it was OK for me to get in one of the local cars marked CRYSTAL SHUTTLE and head down with the driver to pick up the first group of cruisers. I hopped in the front seat and said to the driver I was here to help him :). He only spoke French but I think we came to understand my role and he smiled and said OK. We picked up the first group of 8 in the drivers personal car and headed to the beach. We drove about 15 minutes to the drop off point. Paved road all the way.

 It was a beautiful long sandy beach. It was had a few palm trees fanning it. The color of the water was turquoise to cobalt blue. The beach had no shade making the sun very happy.

 
P1060103

P1060104

P1060105

If you had your swimsuit on and wanted to bake in full sun at a gorgeous beach this was the place for you. Waves crashed along the outer reef. People in the van were not sure if they should get out or not or if it was the right place. I wanted to stay in the van and head back but decided to take a few pictures. I met a man beachside setting up for a BBQ. Some people headed to go swimming. When a second van with cruisers parked next to our van, I felt a bit better.

  P1060101

Setting up on beach for a BBQ. I took that shuttle back to the tender and then back to the ship. A 10 picture day. Wish we could have had the opportunity to see more of this island. I bet it is amazing. 

Back to the ship by 10:30, I did another load of wash, caught up on the blog I can't send anywhere, had lunch, went to a movie with David and just relaxed the day away. Tonight there is a jewelry drawing. I am feeling lucky....

 I forgot to mention I won a $250 poncho at the beginning of the cruise when a designer came on board and I attended the fashion show. It is navy and white.... cute. I had to read my number to myself 3 times before I believed I won something.

No comments:

Post a Comment