Sunday, February 16, 2014

Nagasaki

P1080031

P1080047  Early arrival, we find our ship docking at the Port of Nagasaki. This is where the second atomic bomb fell. I have morning thoughts I want to share. Upon waking, I thought Why, Why God do I go on tours that have me waking up SO EARLY? I just want to lay in bed, sleep. I am so tired. After I got coffee at 7AM, I went outside to watch the Captain dock our ship.
As I watched in the freezing cold, I thought 'Next time, I am taking my whole family with me so we can all be here on deck watching the excitement of docking in yet another port'. What do you think?   Everyone game?

David and I both had restless nights. At least he is sleeping but having nightmares. He envisioned icicles and glass piercing his skin because he was so cold. He couldn't find the blankets fast enough to cover him. I could not sleep, was restless. My thoughts were I need to unpack the fan I bought in Hawaii. I really need some fresh air moving and a gentle breeze to cool me off.

I then went upstairs to get him a donut, a hard boiled egg also looked good today so I brought him one of those too.... fresh squeezed OJ and a hot chocolate. I brought it back to the room. As I entered the elevator I was thinking I wonder how many times I say good morning to everyone I pass? Someday I will count. Every person we pass, no matter where, we politely say Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening, Hello ...... It becomes exhausting, especially before coffee for me.  That is the crabby morning person I am before I have coffee, but I always smile and greet people anyway. It is the right thing to do.

A couple passed me in the hall just as I was entering the room. The man said "How Nice! You are bringing breakfast in bed to your husband. I wish my wife would do that. " I responded "I bet she brings you breakfast all the time, right? And she said "No, he can get up and we both can go for breakfast." I responded 'I need to get to know YOU a bit better! " she had the right idea. We all had a little morning laugh. :)

Nagasaki. Last stop in Japan. One of the things David had to see was the site where the bomb was actually dropped. There is a memorial in the spot today. I felt uneasy here. I can still feel the energy of the people that died here. It was bitter and windy. The sharp cold wind felt like spears piercing my skin. Nagasaki is built up and into the mountains. Some homes are not accessible by cars, you climb steep stairs to access them. Because of the mountainous nature of the area, our guide told us the damage from the bomb was not as great as it could have been.

  P1080202 P1080204

There was not much else to see in this area. The tour we wanted to take which was more in-depth about the bomb and the war had too much walking, standing and stairs. We had to cancel it. Instead we chose to take a bus tour to Arita, a small town located in the northern part of the Kyushu island.  A Korean master potter named Ri Sampei and his potters group was forced to come here towards the end of the 16th century.  And here is where white porcelain was first produced in Japan.   We traveled 90 minutes through dense forests and mountains, through the famous hot springs area to the little town of Arita. We visited two museums in Arita dedicated to pottery and porcelain and also visited an onsite store and an outlet. We had a not memorable lunch at China on the Park.  Shore excursion lunches, I find are usually less then so-so.

I took pictures of a pottery studio where potters were busy at work and saw a huge kiln made from brick. I understand the Gen-emon kiln in one of a kind in Japan and has to be rebuilt once every 25 years. Potters here throw, paint, glaze and fire the pieces.  The Geo-emon kiln uses a unique clay, glaze, fuel (Japanese red pine), and pigments.  I took pictures thinking wouldn't this be great in miniature? It is made out of brick. Pieces are placed in it for 2 days then cooled for two days before it can be open. If opened too soon, all the pieces inside will crack.

I loved the look of the potters studios and all the tools and wheels they use to make the pottery. I thought Meghan would love a studio like the ones we visited.

Our tour guide, Keiko.
P1080043

On the way to Arito, P1080050 P1080054 P1080058

 Museums

  P1080082 P1080108 P1080109 P1080126
I loved this piece with the tiniest fish I ever saw. Thought of Lori and Andy. How can I fit this in my
suitcase, fish and all?

 P1080112 P1080113

Pottery studio: All the potters sat on their knees, Japanese style, while they worked. P1080128 P1080136 P1080152

Kiln:

  P1080173 P1080176


 Arita Porcelain, items for sale: Some really beautiful pieces!

  P1080171 P1080164 P1080166

Upon our return to the ship, we had to once again go through immigration. Once through, they locked us into an endless walkway of no return, never to set foot upon Japanese soil again this trip.

  P1080251 P1080249 P1080253

 Sea day tomorrow. China is up next.






No comments:

Post a Comment